Wednesday 29 February 2012

Birthdays on the 29th February.


Does your birthday, or anyone you know's birthday fall on the 29th of February? If so, what day do you or they, celebrate a birthday on when it's not a leap year?

I have had this discussion with two people in as many days and they both say, if it was them, they'd choose to celebrate on the 28th of February. I find this mind boggling. If you're born on the 29th of February, it's the day after the 28th right? I understand the argument about being born in February and therefore wanting to celebrate in February, but if it hadn't have been a leap year on the date in question, they would have been born on the 1st of March. It's a fact. Mind you; that then begs the question, should people born on the 1st of March celebrate their birthdays on the 29th of February when it's a leap year? After all, it is the day after the 28th of February, which is when they were actually born. Interesting, but it would open up a whole can of worms which I tend to like to steer clear of; so, back to my original question. Which day would you choose to celebrate on, if your birthday fell on the 29th of February? I'm sticking with the 1st of March; it's the only logical answer. J

2 comments:

  1. I was born on 29th Feb and when I was a kid by brothers used to tease me that I have no Birthday when it was nit a leap year.Now that I'm grown up this has become something trivial when to celebrate but for me it is always the end of February. 1st March does not sound good to me :)
    John, Malta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment from someone who knows :-)
    Thanks John.

    ReplyDelete